Careers with Scotian Gold Cooperative Limited
Located in the beautiful Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, we are the largest apple packing and storage operation in Eastern Canada and have been a leader in our industry for decades. Scotian Gold is committed to excellence, respect for people, families and communities. As we have opportunities available, we are looking for energetic and talented people ready to take on new challenges!
Current Employment OpportunitiesTree Fruit Horticulturalist
Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will provide support to over fifty tree fruit growers who produce fruit for Scotian Gold Cooperative. The successful candidate will develop competency in all functions of the business that support grower success including agronomy and horticulture practices, fruit maturity and storage, packing and food safety.
The Tree Fruit Horticulturalist will be a self-starter and a team player in a fast moving, quickly changing workplace. The tree fruit industry is in a phase of expansion as a result of new plantings and the introduction of new technology to the industry which will make for a very exciting future in the industry, and more specifically with Scotian Gold.
In this role, you will:
- Become the “go to” source for growers seeking any information on the tree fruit industry
- Prepare and present weekly information sessions to growers during the growing season
- Conduct farm calls regarding soil prep, planting, pruning, thinning, pest control etc.
- Assist our Agricultural Retail Division in selection and promotion of crop inputs and other orchard supplies
- Be knowledgeable about all registered pest control products for tree fruit, including proper use and storage
- Make variety and rootstock recommendations based on individual farms
- Represent Scotian Gold at industry organizations
- Serve on internal and industry committees as required
- Facilitate grower educational opportunities and travel
- Build relationships with growers from other areas in order to facilitate exchange of ideas and opportunities
- Require a thorough understanding of crop nutrition and nutrient management planning
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture
- Proficient in MS Office and ability to learn other computer software application programs
- Outstanding communication, organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Certified Crop Advisor or Nutrient Management Planner designation preferred
- Member of the Nova Scotia Institute of Agrologists
Please send your resume and cover letter stating salary requirements and availability to email@example.com. Scotian Gold offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. If you are a motivated and energetic individual wishing to work in a challenging work environment, we'd love to hear from you.